Let’s think about a situation where you can’t able to move your legs for some time, even it is only for small periods you feel uncomforting, don’t you? Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) is a medical condition where you feel difficult to move legs and arms while sitting and sleeping for a long period of time. It mostly affect the movement so that its considered as a movement disorder. Restless Leg Syndrome
Normally RLS develops in the circumstances when legs are kept still for a long time it can be felt while sleeping and sitting for a long time and its effects seems to be comedown when we move the legs. Mostly In evening and night RLS mostly shows its symptoms. In daytime the Restless Leg Syndrome possibilities are comparatively low. Periodical Leg Movement Syndrome is the condition occurs when it is unable to move legs during sleep at night.
Symptoms: Restless Leg Syndrome
- Pain in legs
- Burning Sensation
- Experiencing feeling of needle and pin sensation
- Factors that affects the sleep
Hereditary factors are examined as one of the major reason behind RLS therefore probabilities for getting RLS from lineage cannot be ignored. RLS can’t be considered as a disorder which develops in old age because shows effect in the young age but in most cases it’s failed to recognize in the young age. Most of people give it no attention because for them it is only a discomfort felt while kept their legs still for some time. They only consider this seriously when the symptoms increases over age, so after identified with RLS confirm that Is there any one in your family have this disorder.
Apart from hereditary factors diseases related to nerves can result in RLS. Diseases related to veins, multiple sclerosis, Anemia, Diabetics, diseases related to kidney, Respiratory diseases, Cancer, Rheumatoid Arthritis all of these can results in RLS and the use of some medicines or long term diseases may also cause RLS. For example Parkison disease and the absence of iron are found as the reason behind Restless Leg Syndrome. We can control RLS to a limit .Some people shows the symptoms of RLS at the end of the last three months of their pregnancy period but don’t show symptoms after the delivery. Over Usage of alcohol and sleep deprivations also helps in increasing the symptoms of RLS. Restless Leg Syndrome
Treatment: Restless Leg Syndrome
Changing life style habits is one of the most important primary steps for treating RLS. Those who are suffering from sleep deprivation must cultivate a good sleeping pattern. Restless Leg Syndrome
- Should be able to fall asleep immediately after reaching bed and avoid delaying sleep by over thinking.
- Avoid drinks containing caffeine completely after 5pm because the excessive use of them may adversely affect the sleep. Instructions about quitting smoking and drinking will be given as a part of treatment
- Avoid Anti Depressant tablets
- Exercise regularly. Restless Leg Syndrome
- Massage legs before sleeping. Restless Leg Syndrome
- Lifting legs for a while may help you. Restless Leg Syndrome
- Non-pharmacological treatment like bathing or washing legs in warm water are instructed in the first stage, that is medicines will be given only after when this methods failed to cure RLS